Friday, June 15, 2012

Cool Brittania, part 2

by Karolina, 15th June 2012

This is the last post from my Diamond Jubilee inspired posts. I can't promise thought that it's the last of Britain and British  in here :) 
Today... tea cake :) Literally a tea cake...


Recipe for this cake is from Moje Wypieki blog with small changes (see my notes)

Lady Grey tea cake

Ingredients:
  • 200 g flour
  • 50 g potato flour (note: you can use maizena or cornflour instead)
  • 150 g caster sugar
  • 130 g butter or margarine
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 tbs milk (note: I usually need more0
  • 2 ts baking powder
  • 1 ts vanilla extract
  • 3 ts dry Lady Grey team - about 2 tea (I usually use 2 teabags of Earl Grey)
* note: cake on the pictures is made from 2/3 of the above ingredients. I made smaller version (ran out of eggs :))

Method:
  • Beat butter/margarine until fluffy. Add sugar and keep mixing. Add eggs - one by one while mixing
  • Flours sift together with baking powder and mix in tea. 
  • Add to butter mix alternating with milk, while mixing. Add vanilla extract and mix.
  • Butter bundt cake form  and fill 3/4 with the cake
  • Bake around 30-40 minutes in 190º (first 15 minutes in temperature 160ºC).
  •  Take out, cool and Enjoy :)

I really like this cake as it's not too sweet, moist but not heavy. And best of all - nobody can guess what's the secret ingredient :) I had once professional chef asking me what was inside - because he couldn't put his finger on this specific taste.

To make this cake little more dressed up for the occasion I added Union Jack bunting.


This bunting took me less than 10 minutes to make. I printed some Union Jack pattern, cut triangles from it. Glued triangles to get double-sided bunting :)  Then glued triangles together and to the wooden skewers. Ta-da! :)

So I leave you with this lovely tea cake and (with the special dedication to all my British friends) - Land of Hope and Glory from last year's Proms.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest
my foodgawker gallery
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More